Domaine Pierre Gelin Fixin Clos Napoléon
Domaine Pierre Gelin is the leading wine producer in the small village of Fixin (pronounced “Fees-an”). The family domaine was founded in 1925 by Pierre Gelin and is today in the hands of Pierre’s grandson, Pierre-Emmanuel. Pierre-Emmanuel practices lutte raisonée (“reasoned struggle”) and works to minimize the impact on the environment in both vineyard and cellar.
The family owns 32 acres in total including parcels in five Fixin premier crus and the monopole of Clos Napoléon. In 1961 Pierre also purchased vineyards in Gevrey-Chambertin including the monopole Clos de Meixvelle, Clos Prieur 1er cru, and the Grand Cru Clos de Bèze.
Clos Napoléon is a 4.5 acre monopole of Domaine Pierre Gelin and is the flagship wine of the estate. This premier cru was uncultivated at the time it was purchased by Pierre Gelin in 1950. The vines are now over 60 years old. The vineyard was originally owned by Claude Noisot, the surgeon to Emperor Napoléon, and was known as Aux Cheusots. Claude rechristened the vineyard Clos Napoléon in honor of the emperor.