Lapostolle Grand Selection Chardonnay 2019

At Lapostolle our mission is to capture the freshness of the fruit.  Young and expressive; bright and vivid, define the characteristics of our Lapostolle Grand Selection Wines. Vintage conditions of 2017 were marked for a cold winter that ensured the right bud break, giving a good start to the season. Also the whole season was very dry with just 262 mm of rain, 38% less rain than the average in our Atalayas. Spring brought some frosts that affected the vineyard, dropping the yield we were expecting in a 57%. High summer temperatures accelerated ripening process, anticipating the harvest in a week from average in our Atalayas vineyard. Our Chardonnay reached an exceptional quality, with very healthy grapes, good concentration and structure.

About the Vineyard

Casablanca Valley exhibit a cold Mediterranean climate. Located right next to the Pacific ocean in the central part of Chile, the climate is moderated by the cold Humboldt current traveling from the Southern Pole. This current drops the temperatures and the coastal winds refresh the valley’s climate.  Winter tend to be mild, summers are also fairly mild with moderate temperatures. November to April, the critical harvest period in the Southern hemisphere is usually dry. Casablanca has the perfect combination of cold temperatures with a dry summer, so our Chardonnay maintains its acidity and ripens very slowly with very little risk of rain during the fall.

Wine Production

Our key points are strict fruit selection using Vistalys optical selection technology. 34% of the clusters went straight to the press and were directly pressed while the remaining 66% was destemmed, crushed and macerated in a steel tank at low temperature for 6 to 12 hours. Then we racked the juice for a natural decantation in stainless steel tanks. We fermented 80% of the clear juice in stainless steel tanks in order to preserve the freshness of the fruit and the remaining 20% was fermented in French oak barrels.

Tasting Notes

Color: Pale yellow with greenish hues.

Nose: Clean and fresh nose with aromas of lychee, pineapple and white flowers.

Palate: Refreshing with lively acidity, fine structure, with stony notes adding complexity and length.

Food Pairing

Serve cold, between 10/12°C (50/53° F). Ideal companion for fish and seafood in general. Dishes such as such as crab pie or a Southern Rays bream with shrimp’s sauce or a steak tartare with some lemon juice would be perfect.

Production Info
Vineyard name
Atalayas Vineyard
Soil composition
Granitic origin
Exposure
Western
Total SO2
3.49
Year vineyard planted
From 1997
Harvest time
April
First vintage of this wine
1999
Bottles produced of this wine
15.500 cases of 12 bottles of 0.75 liters.
Winemaking & Aging
Varietal composition
100% Chardonnay
Prefermentation Technique
Cold maceration
Fermentation container
Stainless steel tanks
Type of aging container
Stainless steel tanks
Type of oak
French
Analytical Data
Alcohol
13.5 %
pH level
3.4
Residual sugar
2.58 g/L

Other wines you may like from

Lapostolle

Lapostolle Apalta Red

Cabernet Sauvignon-based Blends

View Details

Lapostolle Cuvée Alexandre Cabernet Sauvignon

Cabernet Sauvignon

View Details

Lapostolle Cuvée Alexandre Carmenere

Carmenere

View Details

Lapostolle Cuvée Alexandre Chardonnay

Chardonnay & Chardonnay-based blends

View Details

Lapostolle Cuvée Alexandre Merlot

Merlot

View Details

Lapostolle Grand Selection Cabernet Sauvignon

Cabernet Sauvignon

View Details

Lapostolle Grand Selection Carmenere

Carmenere

View Details

Lapostolle Grand Selection Merlot

Merlot

View Details

Lapostolle Grand Selection Sauvignon Blanc

Sauvignon Blanc & Sauvignon Blanc-based Blends

View Details

Lapostolle Le Rosé

Other Red Grape or Blend

View Details