Lima Vinho Verde 2012
This Vinho Verde is named for the legendary Lima River in Galicia. During Roman times, invading solders avoided this river as it was said to be the incarnation of Hades’ memory-erasing Lethe. Today, vines flourish along its banks, among them the Loureiro that composes Lima Vinho Verde. Cold fermentation in stainless steel tanks creates a wine with excellent acidity and a freshness that will be hard to forget.
Pale lemon-yellow in color, aromas of lemongrass and Mediterranean herbs complement undertones of white tea and minerality. On the palate, crisp, zesty acidity and mouth-filling flavors of citrus fruits push a long, refreshing finish.
Pair this wine with shellfish, pulpo gallego, ceviche, or enjoy it as an easy-to-drink summer wine.
- Vineyard name: The Paço do Cardido vineyard
- Vineyard size: 35 acres
- Soil composition: Rocky
- Training method: Espalier
- Elevation: 330-560 feet
- Vines/acre: 440
- Yield/acre: 2.8 tons
- Exposure: Southern
- Year vineyard planted: 1982-1992
- Harvest time: September
- First vintage of this wine: 2011
- Bottles produced of this wine: 150,000
- Varietal composition: 100% Loureiro
- Fermentation container: Stainless steel tank
- Length of alcoholic fermentation: 10-15 days
- Fermentation temperature: 61-64 °F
- Alcohol: 11.5 %
- pH level: 3.2
- Residual sugar: 5.0 g/L
- Acidity: 6.0 g/L